Magalies Meander Memberships
Application to Join & General Information
About the Magalies Meander
Launched in 1998, with the primary objective of attracting greater numbers of visitors to the area from the main metropolitan areas of Gauteng, not only has the number of visitors increased geometrically, so too, has there been significant growth in the micro-economy. Visitors enjoy the increasing variety of activities and experiences offered by our Members and thereby make a very substantial contribution to job-creation, skills improvement and, most importantly, to the rise in per-capita incomes of members of our communities.
It is conservatively estimated that the launch and growth of the Magalies Meander has resulted in the creation of 3000-plus new permanent jobs, mainly for members of local communities. Capital investment in Tourism and related ventures within the Meander area now exceeds One billion Rand.. It is a private-sector initiative, self-funded and still has considerable growth potential.
At this stage, the main centre of the Magalies Meander is the quaint, historical village of Magaliesburg and most Members’ venues are with 30 – 40 minutes driving- time of the village.
An important feature of the Magalies Meander is that the area of activities covers 2 provinces – Gauteng and North-West – on both the north and south sides of the magnificent Magaliesberg mountain range.
The major advantage for Visitors to the Meander area is that is only a 40-50 minute drive from all the main centres of Gauteng.
How we are structured and operateThe Magalies Meander is a registered Section 21 Company ( Not-for-Gain), run by an Executive Committee elected/ re-elected by the Membership at an Annual General meeting, and operates within the rules, terms and conditions of a formally drafted and agreed Constitution. It is self-funded and revenue is mainly obtained from Members’ advertising charges and Membership fees.
In terms of the existing Constitution, the Executive Committee may comprise up to 10 Members – all of whom must be paid-up Members of the Magalies Meander.
Membership is open to any person/s, company/ies either already involved in or wishing to become involved in Tourism or related business/es within the general area covered by the Magalies Meander.
An important pre-requisite for membership of the Magalies Meander by any prospective or existing Member engaged in the business of providing Accommodation is that they are graded by the South African Tourism Grading Council. Should any such Member/ intending Member wish to obtain a Quality Assurance rating, they may be graded by the AA of South Africa.
At this stage, no other category of Member/ prospective Member is required to be graded.
Benefits for our Members
• Inclusion in the very popular, widely distributed, Magalies Meander Visitors’ Guide. (annual print-run 600000 copies). Over 1.2 million copies have been distributed over the past 10 years – mainly, within Gauteng and North-West provinces.
• Inclusion on the very well-visited Meander web-site.
• Television, Print and Radio coverage by media representatives/ organizations who periodically cover general or specific attractions and events held within the Meander area.
• Regular up-dates via electronic Newsletter of issues and matters relating to the Magalies Meander or which may be of general interest to Members.
• Most if not the entire Meander area has been designated a “ Tourism “ area and as such enjoys the protection of the relevant Authorities.
• Representation at various fora and meetings with Tourism officials and private- sector Tourism organizations.
• Regular interaction with other Members of the Magalies Meander for their mutual benefit. Members recommend and promote fellow Members first, non-Members second.
• Preferential advertising rates – where possible – for Members’ advertising in such media as Getaway magazine.
• Promotion and publicity of the Magalies Meander at major shows and events e.g. Outdoor Show, Indaba etc.
The Future of the Magalies Meander
The Magalies Meander will continue to provide a variety of attractions and activities to meet the needs of visitors to the area. It plans to widen the Membership base and thereby increase the capacity for growth and sustainability. By pursuing this strategy it will create more opportunities for job-creation and micro-economic development for the benefit of local communities.
In addition, particular attention will be given by the Executive Committee to raising the profile of the Magalies Meander in order to attract more visitors to the area and Members’ venues.
Strict principles of good corporate governance will be adhered to within the parameters of the Constitution.
Membership Cost Structure:
The under-mentioned Fee-structure has been approved by the Executive Committee for fiscal 2013-14:
|Hospitality & accommodation||Enrollment fee (once-off)||Annual subscription|
|All businesses||R 1 500||R 1 500|
Note: The enrolment is a once-off fee to be paid by new members and past members who have broken their membership and wish to re-join.
To find out more about the Magalies Meander and how we can assist you, please do not hesitate to contact the Chairperson or any Executive Committee member. We have included an Application form below, which must be completed in full and submitted for consideration by the Executive Committee.
Thank you for your time and we look forward to being of service.
|PO Box 444
|Chairperson: Byron Cumin
Cell: 082 453 8444
|Click to download The Constitution
Click to download Guidelines & Rules
Click below for the application form which will need to be completed in full and submitted:
Magalies Meander Membership Application Form